Thursday, March 29, 2012

Como La Cigarra

I've been trying to memorize the spanish poem, "Como La Cigarra," by María Elena Walsh, for Spanish class. I'm supposed to be able to memorize, pronounce, and present the poem by memory. It's very difficult for me considering I can barely remember things in English, let alone Spanish! But the gods smiled upon me today and I got an extra weekend before I have to recite it for the test. Thank goodness for my good friend that kindly sent me the "song" so I can listen to it over and over until I get it, at least mostly, memorized! I've been so lucky today! Anyways, it's a poem about someone that had survived a war and feels loved one day and isolated the next. He feels grateful to be alive one day, and lonely the next. In Spanish the poem is:

In English, the poem says something like this: 

So many times I killed
I died many times
But I'm here
resurrected.
I give thanks to the misfortune
and handy with a knife
Because they killed me so bad
and continued singing.
So many times I wiped out
many disappeared
My own funeral I
alone and crying.
I made a knot to
but I forgot after
that it was the last time
and came back singing.
So many times you killed
many resurrected
spend many nights
desperate.
When the wreck
and the dark
someone will rescue
to go singing.
Singing in the sun like the cicada
after a year underground
as survivor
returning from the war.


No comments:

Post a Comment